Ad: PR gifted product. As always I give honest and unbiased reviews of products I receive. This post contains an affiliate link.
I love the versatility of my natural kinky coily hair. I can easily rock braids, twists, cornrows and straight hair. I love being able to switch up my hairstyles whenever I want.
However it’s been a while since I used a flat iron to straighten my natural hair. I had a major setback a few years ago when I visited a salon, the stylist literally fried my hair and I ended up with extreme heat damage and hair loss. In hindsight I was newly natural and had no clue about heat damage.
Now I’m more clued up, I’ve done tons of research and sought advice on how to protect my hair when using heat.
When it comes to heat styling, having the perfect tools (blow-dryer, flat iron etc), heat protection and technique will help prevent damage to your hair.
I’ve had a Babyliss Flat iron for over 10 years and needed a replacement. So when NuMe contacted me with the opportunity to try one of their products, it was perfect timing!
Here at NuMe, we believe great hair starts with great styling tools.
That’s why we create easy-to-use, technology-driven hair styling tools that focus on hair health and lasting results.
For the best results in hair care and styling, there’s simply no match for our tools and care products. At NuMe, we don’t just carry essentials like hair curling wands, straighteners and blow dryers.
We also feature a diverse lineup of salon-quality hair styling tools and accessories like diffusers, brushes, hair wraps and an array of hair care products, ranging from time-saving dry shampoos and rich argan oils to sleek serums and deep repair masks.
So after browsing their website I decided to choose one of their hair straighteners…
NuMe Megastar Hair Straightener $169.00
It’s time to grab yourself a flat iron that will fight frizz and achieve ultimate shine! The Megastar Hair Straightener is made with 1-inch pure tourmaline ceramic floating plates, an integrated far infrared heat strip, and an Ion Booster on the base to lock in moisture. This must-have NuMe product will make your daily hair routine quick and easy and is perfect for the girl on-the-go! This multi-use flat iron can help you achieve a wide variety of salon-quality hairstyles from silky straight to defined and natural curls. Safe for all hair types. Time to show off what those locks are made of!
Megastar is available in 4 colors:
- 100 percent pure tourmaline ceramic
- 1-inch precision-engineered floating plates
- Heats up to 450°F in seconds
- On-off power button with indicator light
- Digital display and temperature control
- Far infrared technology and integrated infrared heat strip
- Ion Booster offers 1000 percent more negative ion conditioning technology
- Fully rotating swivel power cord
- Ergonomic design with soft touch finish
Safe for all hair types.
- 1-inch floating plates – flexible and adjust to your hair, getting as close to your strands as possible to ensure one pass styling that’s quick, easy and tug-free.
- Beveled plate design – allows for versatile heat styling of curls and straight hairstyles.
- Integrated far infrared heat strip – sends a gentle heat directly into the hair follicle and out to the cuticle to protect strands over time.
- Tourmaline ceramic – offers a smooth, friction-free surface to reduce breakage and naturally conducts far infrared heat and negative ions for healthier heat styling.
- Negative ion conditioning technology – maintains moisture and eliminates frizz by sealing the hair’s cuticle while boosting shine.
- Ion Booster – amplifies the effects of negative ion conditioning with an increase in the release of negative ions.
The NuMe Megastar is available with two plug options; US 110-240V and EU 220V
I received the US plug due to an error but it wasn’t a big deal as I had an adapter that worked perfectly.
I love the sleek design, it has a digital display which shows the temperature. On the inside there’s a power button with indicator light and temperature control buttons.
When you switch it on the temperature automatically defaults to 450°F. It literally takes seconds and it’s ready to use. You can adjust the temperature to whatever setting you require, the lowest setting is 190°F.
It has an automatic shut-off feature so the straightener will automatically shut off after 60 minutes.
The ‘floating plates’ are crafted to be flexible so they can align to the exact thickness of the section of hair you are straightening. When you look at the straightener from the side, you’ll see that the plates don’t touch completely. This is not a product flaw but actually part of NuMe’s sophisticated design technology.
This gives plates optimum contact with hair and superior compression and heat distribution, so you get a smooth glide with every pass and softer, shinier hair every time. When using this on my hair I can get as close to my strands as possible to ensure one pass styling that’s quick, easy and tug-free.
The far infrared heat strip sends gentle heat directly into the hair follicle and out to the cuticle to protect the health of strands over time. The far infrared heat also helps preserve moisture without causing overdrying. This feature is great for those who use heat styling on a regular basis.
Before I use the straightener, I always prepare my hair for heat styling. Most important thing for me is starting with fresh, clean hair to help me achieve the best results.
Here are the steps I follow..
- Cleanse with a clarifying shampoo to deeply cleanse and remove any product build-up.
- Follow up with a moisturising deep conditioner. I sat under my steamer for 15 minutes for intense hydration.
- Apply a heat protectant prior to blow drying and flat ironing. This is the only time I opt for silicone based products for heat protection.
First step is blow-drying my hair, I do this in small sections at a time. As you can the shrinkage is REAL!
My hair is thick and coarse so I found that the 390°F setting works well for me. I like to work with small sections of hair at a time. What I love about this hair straightener is it literally glides through my hair without any tugging. I only need one pass to get straight, smooth, shiny and frizz-free hair.
I love that the edges of the plates are beveled so you also create loose waves or curls.
I’m absolutely loving how my hair turned out. I’ve had my fair share of straighteners and this is one of the best ones I’ve used.
I’m so pleased I’ve been able to go back to my natural hair after using this hair straightener without any hair damage. My hair is nice and healthy afterwards.
If you’re looking to add some heat styling tools to your regimen I would definitely recommend trying out NuMe.
I’ve got an exclusive coupon code for my readers. Use code: 2mumsviews for 25% off storewide at numehair.com
Many thanks to NuMe for working with me.
I hope you found this review helpful.