Ad: PR gifted products. As always I give honest and unbiased reviews of products I receive.
We all want beautiful and healthy hair but have you wondered about the impact conventional hair products are having on our bodies and the environment.
We wash our hair with shampoos and conditioners and use styling products and oils filled with synthetic chemicals and toxins.
Ingredients you should avoid in hair products:
- Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS)
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Polyethelyne glycol
- Synthetic Fragrance/Parfum
- Propylene Glycol
- Synthetic colours
- Mineral oil
60% of what is placed on the skin is absorbed into our bloodstream. Our scalp is part of our skin, so what we put on our hair and scalp gets absorbed into our bloodstream. These chemicals are being absorbed into our bodies where they can reside for years, collecting in other organs and potentially harming our long term health.
It’s not just our skin absorbing these harmful chemicals, so is the environment as they are washed down into the drain contaminating water and soil, polluting waterways and harming marine life.
Why use Organic Hair Products?
Organic hair products use ingredients that are grown and preserved without chemical herbicides, pesticides and antibiotics. GMOs (genetically modified organisms), synthetic colours, dyes or fragrances are also a no-no.
Organic hair products are effective, safe and gentle for the hair.
Organic hair care products are earth-friendly
Organic hair products contain ingredients beneficial to the hair and scalp.
Want to get healthy hair without compromising your health or the environment?
This week is Organic Beauty & Wellbeing week and the Soil Association is calling on us to make ‘one small swap’ to certified organic products.
Try replacing your hair products one-by-one with certified-organic alternatives as they run out.
Your choice to go organic will make a tremendous difference, not only on your own health, but also the environment.
Looking for the best organic hair products? Let me introduce you to….
Multi-Award Winning, Organic, British Made Haircare that works in Harmony with your Body for the Ultimate Hair & Scalp Health
With a shared passion for a sustainable, organic, healthy lifestyle involving as much time as possible outdoors in nature, husband & wife team Dennes & Tabitha transferred their ethos into their business, creating the first sustainable, holistic, organic hair salon in the UK in 1999.
Tabitha refers to herself as a “Hair Geek”, as she has an immense knowledge of the functions of the hair and scalp and how traditional hair care products function.
Tabitha believes great hair is founded on 3 core principles
- Oil Balancing – Hair oil application will strengthen and build up long-term protection of the hair strands. I have developed a unique organic hair oil blend, able to absorb into and seal the hair shaft, providing strength and protection, without weighing the hair down.
- Correct Cleansing – Healthy hair is the foundation of Great hair.
Correct cleansing is how to achieve that foundation
- Moisture Layering – Decades of working with hair has taught me that it always performs best when it is moisturised correctly, purely and naturally. Most problems are caused by moisture/oil being stripped from the hair. I have designed products that enable you to replace that moisture easily and effectively building layers to achieve longevity of healthy hair.
Tabitha James Kraan Scented Organic Hair Oil (30ml | £38)
THIS IS A PRE-WASH TREATMENT
Restore, protect and polish the hair with this expertly formulated nutrient-rich and gloriously scented Organic Hair Oil. Use before washes, as a treatment or wear to varnish, moisturise and nurture hair that has been stressed by lifestyle and styling.
- Highly effective treatment from the first application
- Rich in anti-oxidants
- Easily absorbed into the hair
- Delivers a divine scent that lasts
- Transforms the feel and look of the hair
When to use:
- Varnish, moisturise, rehydrate, nurture and protect hair with weekly treatments or use as a light daily protection
- Your hair feels dry/brittle or oily
- Your hair has lost its shine
- After exposure to extreme weather conditions
Soil Association Certified Cosmos Organic with certified organic Sea Buckthorn, Safflower, Rosehip, Goji Berry and Argan oil, infused with organic essential oils of Rose, Patchouli and Ylang ylang.
Contains Tabitha’s signature amethyst stone.
Let me start off by saying the scent of this hair oil is truly divine with a delicate floral scent that lingers. A wonderful treat for your hair while soothing the senses.
I love the beautiful amethyst stone in each bottle. Amethyst acts as a potent calming mechanism that eases nerves and boosts confidence.
It is a wonderful scalp treatment. I massage into my scalp and leave overnight to balance oil production and then wash and condition as usual.
I also like to run a small amount through my hair before styling to increase moisture balance and shine.
Tabitha James Kraan Clean Shampoo Amber Rose (250ml | £25)
A certified organic shampoo, designed to detox cosmetic products and toxins, with it’s rich, gentle lather.
CLEAN = NO SYNTHETICS = 100% NATURAL
- Ideal shampoo for anybody new to natural and organic hair care
- Pure, clean, rich formulation that leaves the hair nourished and moisturised
- This is a professional formulation that exceeds the expectations of natural, organic shampoo
- 100% natural of which over 73% certified organic ingredients.
Enriched with organic extracts of Rosemary, Horsetail and Marigold.
Scented with organic essential oils of Rose, Patchouli, Ylang ylang, Cedarwood and Neroli.
Conventional shampoos contain sulphates Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES). These are harsh ingredients that strip natural oils from our skin, causing dryness, irritation and allergic reactions.
We grow accustomed to products that lather up with soapy suds, making us think the more the product lathers, the more it cleans. NOT TRUE!
This clean shampoo contains Decyl Glucoside which is a natural, mild and gentle surfactant that does not dry the skin. It has a gentle lather, so don’t be alarmed and think you need more shampoo than usual. Simply wet hair thoroughly and apply a small amount to the scalp and roots, massaging gently and then rinse. You can repeat the process if you need to.
It will take a few washes for your hair and scalp to adjust to a natural shampoo so don’t be alarmed. It takes a little getting used to, but your hair will thank you.
This shampoo does a great job at keeping the scalp and hair clean without feeling stripped. It is perfect for all hair types and protects coloured hair from fading. I even use it on my kids as well as its gentle. The scent is so gorgeous. Even my daughter was like “mummy what’s that smell, I really like it”. I highly recommend making the ‘one small swap’ to this shampoo as your hair and scalp will look and feel healthier.
Tabitha James Kraan Clean Conditioner Amber Rose (200ml | £32)
A very intense classic conditioner that will give your hair a deep injection of moisture in one clean hit.
No synthetic ingredients at all and a truly 100% natural preservative system.
Enriched with organic extracts of Green Tea, Rosemary, Marigold and Burdock. Scented with organic essential oils of Rose, Patchouli, Ylang ylang and Neroli.
This product is all about a deep, intensive hit of moisture that will absorb immediately, deep into each hair strand, rather than coating it.
Conventional conditioners usually contain silicones, which give your hair that silky, shiny and smooth coat but over time they dry and damage your hair.
Silicones also build up in your hair and this prevents moisture and oils from reaching your hair shaft, you end up with greasy, weighed down hair.
I love this conditioner, it smells amazing like the shampoo. Amber Rose is beautiful. It leaves hair moisturised and shiny.
Harnessing the restorative and structuring properties of oatmilk, infusing the hair with vitamins, minerals and strengthening proteins. Organic oils protect your hair and make it manageable and soft without any buildup.
- Infuses the hair with deep moisture in a way that is designed to be layered.
- Restores and protects the hair, adding buoyancy and increased ability to smooth the hair.
- Moisture infusion enhances hair colour and creates shine and lustre.
- Topical application will soothe and calm an irritated scalp.
- Reduces frizz and fly-away hair, whilst restoring long lasting moisture to the entire hair shaft.
- Suitable for all hair types.
With certified organic Rosehip, Argan, Coconut oil and essential oils of Rose, Patchouli, Neroli, Chamomile and Ylang Ylang.
I love a good multi-purpose product. This can be used as a traditional conditioner, a leave-in moisturiser, a scalp moisturiser and a styling product. It softens, smooths and leaves the hair shiny without weighing it down. And better yet it smells wonderful.
So you might be thinking these hair products have a higher price tag than conventional products and are they worth it?
They are formulated with the finest natural and organic ingredients, free from nasty chemicals and cheap fillers. You don’t need to use a lot to get results. They are more effective with greater benefits than conventional products, so overall better value for money.
I hope this post has helped you make a conscious decision to make ‘one small swap’ to organic hair care.
One small swap can make a world of difference.
Thanks to Tabitha James Kraan for collaborating with me for Organic September.